Tuesday, February 2, 2010

If I used one potato, zinc plated nail, and a penny, could I make enough electricity to light a small bulb?

like a small bulb in a tiny flashlightIf I used one potato, zinc plated nail, and a penny, could I make enough electricity to light a small bulb?
No, my sister is a science teacher and she has tried the potato battery with 6 of them in series. She got slight movement in the voltmeter needle, but not enough to light a bulb. You may have better luck with lemons with zinc and carbon electrodes. Lead and copper will work too.If I used one potato, zinc plated nail, and a penny, could I make enough electricity to light a small bulb?
It will work. You want to get the greatest surface area possible for the zinc and copper. I used small bits of sheet material to do that. And then connect 2 or 3 in series. I also used a low power LED which worked well.
You would have to use a small flashlight bulb in order to get it to work. I had to use 3 potatoes cut in half before we were finally able to get it to work for my daughter's project. The do have to be in series.
in theory, try it out in practice yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment